pasta

You might wonder why I'm including a post on pasta as we work on storing grains. Most pasta is made from semolina flour, which is ground durum wheat. Once the pasta is dried, unless it is made with eggs, it has shelf life of up to 30 years1 in ideal storage conditions.

Pasta packaged in #10 cans (or PETE bottles) with oxygen absorbers will store the longest. Pasta can also be purchased in many other types of packaging. If I buy my pasta already sealed in a plastic bag, I'll simply store it in a 5-gallon bucket (without opening the package). A lot of pasta comes in boxes without any additional packaging (plastic lining etc.). I try NOT to buy this type of pasta. I've had more than one experience with boxes of pasta also transporting critters.

I use pasta regularly as a part of my three-month supply. I also include it as a portion of my longer-term storage "grains."

Sources:
1 - The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
You have just read the article entitled pasta. Please read the article from Bednars 8 About , more. And you can also bookmark this page with the URL : http://bednars8.blogspot.com/2009/07/pasta.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2013. Bednars 8